Department of Fishery Microbiology
Training and Consultancy services
The Department also offers short term training programmes in different areas for officers of Government Departments, Technicians from hatcheries and fish processing units and Scientists from universities and research institutions. Some of the areas in which training is offered are
- Shrimp disease diagnosis using PCR and traditional methods
- Bacteriological techniques in aquaculture
- Molecular techniques for rapid detection of pathogens associated with seafoods
- Testing efficiency of probiotics and antimicrobial agents
- Microbiological and biochemical tests of water
- Short term training in Bioinformatics.
The Department provides the following analytical services to the aquaculture and fish processing industries
- PCR testing of shrimp larvae, broodstock, juveniles, pond water, sediment, carrier animal for shrimp viruses such as WSSV, MBV, HPV, YHV.
- Seafood safety assessment: Testing for presence of pathogens - Vibrio cholerae, Salmonella, Staphylococcus aureus, Listeria monocytogenes, Escherichia coli.
- Testing of commercial products intended for use in aquaculture/fish processing systems.
- Analysis of fish/shellfish for biotoxins - PSP, DSP, NSP, ASP, Histamine, Aflatoxins.
- Analysis of drinking water, packaged drinking water.
- Testing shrimp/fish for antibiotic residues by ELISA.
- Industrial water analysis (cooling towers, biofilms) and their effluents from industries such as fish processing, chemicals and fertilizers