Department of Fisheries Resources and Management
- Emphasis on exploitation of deep sea and offshore resources
- Aquatic resource management programme through community participation
- Focus research on conservation biology and management of endangered and threatened marine fishes
- To prepare a index of freshwater ichthyofauna of Western Ghats.
- To undertake research on indigenous fishes available in coastal wetlands and to explore the possibilities of using them for aquaculture
- To prepare an action plan for effective implementation of code of conduct for responsible fisheries
- To introduce two new PG programmes in
- Conservation biology and management
- Coastal and marine ecology
- Assessment of constraint in implementation of BMP’s and providing technical solutions
- To create awareness on endangered and threatened marine fishes to fishermen and train them in taxonomic characteristics of such fishes.